Information for ITE students wishing to register to teach in Northern Ireland
12 May 2022
A new NISTR solution will be launching for the new academic year 2022/23 for the benefit of all substitute teachers and school users. This innovative system is currently in development through the Education Information Solutions (EdIS) programme.
It is vital that you are registered and that your details are up to date on the current system. All users will be automatically transferred to the new system ahead of the new school year.
Please ensure that all registrations and updates are complete by Friday, 10th June 2022.
How to register
To register on the current solution please click here and follow the step-by-step process to complete the registration.
If you need help with the registration please watch our help video
If you are already a registered NISTR user, please update your profile to ensure it is completed in full with all required fields populated. This will ensure that you will have a smooth transition to the new NISTR solution and will benefit from all additional features available.
What is EdIS?
The EdIS Programme is a change programme designed with children and young people and their learning experience at its centre. The Programme will support the learning experience for children and young people over the next 10 years and beyond. As part of this change programme EdIS will be redesigning the NISTR solution.
For more information on the EdIS programme please click here.
More about the new NISTR solution
The new NISTR solution will be a ‘mobile first’ application, providing school users and substitute teachers access to NISTR on iOS and Android devices for the first time. The Education Authority have had extensive engagement by the NISTR Project Team with substitute teachers, school users, employing authorities and trade unions throughout 2021 that has enabled identification of key areas of improvement for the existing service and helped identify key features for the new NISTR system, including:
- A streamlined registration process to facilitate teachers to upload CVs and create their substitute teacher profile with minimal text input.
- An interactive and user-friendly interface designed to negate booking of substitute teachers outside the system.
- A simplified process that facilitates substitute teacher bookings in seconds.
- An integrated instant messaging and voice chat to enhance communication between schools and substitute teachers.
- An improved intelligent search function to quickly match schools with the right substitute teachers.
- An improved data and filtering for teacher positions for example, Irish Medium, Special Educational Needs and Nurseries.
- A new reporting function providing schools, employing authorities and the Department of Education with accurate and live data to better understand the use of substitute teachers and provide targeted support where needed.
- A seamless integration with current and future payroll systems to increase the timeliness and accuracy of payment for substitute teachers.
- An increased help and support function, with the provision of user guides, a Frequently Asked Question section, a chatbot for common queries as well as bitesize training videos.
NISTR development updates will be shared on this website, please check back often for further updates.
Why do I need to register on this solution if a new solution is coming?
New NISTR users should register by 10th June to allow sufficient time for vetting and checking processes to be completed before the start of the new academic year in August 2022.
Existing NISTR users should ensure that all information is up-to-date and accurate by 10th June to ensure the smooth and seamless transition from the current NISTR system to the new system in readiness for the start of the new academic year in August 2022.