Register of Apprenticeship Training Providers (February 2021)
11 February 2021
The register of apprenticeship training providers closed for new applications from midnight on Wednesday 15 April 2020. This is due to the impact coronavirus (COVID-19) may have on apprenticeship training providers and ESFA.
Changes to the register of apprenticeship training providers
As part of the government’s continued commitment to improving the quality of apprenticeship training, we will be implementing a series of changes to the register of apprenticeship training providers (the register). Broadly, these changes are designed to encourage entry to the register only in areas of identified skills need, and to ensure providers remaining on the register are those who are most skilled and experienced, and are as follows:
- widening the current set of targeted entry conditions to the register to allow more training providers to enter the register where they can demonstrate they are catering to critical workers, and have a linked employer’s endorsement stating that the provision addresses the skills needs currently of greatest priority
- this will take effect from 1 March 2021 and will be kept under review as needed
- consider removing any providers from the register that have not delivered training over the most recent 6 month period
- this will take effect from May 2021
- requiring all remaining, active providers to reapply to the register, taking into account a new set of application criteria
- remaining providers will be invited to apply when the refresh commences from May 2021
Further changes will be announced in due course setting out how any new applications, beyond those linked to critical worker provision, will be invited. Consistent with the approach set out here, any future permitted entry to the register will be similarly targeted to identified skills need.
More information on eligibility and applications can be found here: