DfE statement on the Corona virus and ITE
25 March 2020
Please see the attached DfE statement on the Corona virus and ITE. This supersedes the holding advice issued by UCET and NASBTT on Friday last week. Key points include:
- ITE requirements in respect of time spent in school and number and location of placements are suspended. ITE programmes can continue through on-line learning , the setting of assignments to be completed at home and in other ways that providers think appropriate.
- Where at the end of the programme students are judged by the provider to be on a trajectory towards meeting the teacher standards they can, on normal timescales, be recommended for the award of QTS.
- Arrangements for students who could clearly not be judged to be on a trajectory towards QTS at the end of their programmes will be announced in due course, along with details of any financial provision.
- Additional support for next year’s NQTs who are awarded QTS will also be announced in due course.
- ITE providers can continue to recruit students for 2020/21, using Skype or other on- line mechanisms for the conducting of interviews, and the checking of documents.
- Normal timescales for Rejection by Default and Declined by Default have been suspended
- Detailed Q&A from DfE will follow, as will updated ITE criteria